Thursday, July 28, 2005

Summer Anniversary


Hi all!

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted and it's hard to believe how fast the time flies. I was on my break for two weeks and have been back in camp for two and it feels only like a few days. I cannot explain what a strange time warp it is up here sometimes!

We are into the full swing of summer although you wouldn't know it from the weather! Today has been the first sun filled day we've had since I've been back. So much drizzle, thunderstorms today and lots and lots of grey, yucky clouds.

Not much has been going on in camp, just keeping steady with the work, lots of core coming in as we have three drills running at the moment. I have been staying under the radar socially most nights and am finding that the grey weather makes me want to hibernate even more. My bed in the dark, warm, cozy cabin with a good book and a cup of tea is almost irresistible most nights! We have a lot of musicians in camp that do coax me away from my cabin some nights as we have been getting together for jam sessions and guitar lessons for moi!

Some boys and our previous medic took it upon themselves to change an old water pump shack into a home-grown sauna so tonight will be my first trip into the steamy goodness! The only stipulation I'm told is that you have to jump in the lake between sauna sessions! Brrrr! Although I'm sure that after being in there for awhile, it'll feel nice to get into the lake.

Followed a family of ptarmigan around camp yesterday. They have 6 chicks and the are about the size of my hand right now. All brown and peepy. Rates high on the cute scale.
Not so cute are the SWARMS of mosquitos that have hatched after all the rain. I really hate the gutsy ones that dive bomb your eyes and nose.

The title for this post? Today marks the day that I returned for the summer session last year. We had the summer 'off' in the office during break-up last year so it's strange to have been working all this time up north.

No comments: