
I had to write again and describe what it's like to be sitting in the middle of the arctic in a home made sauna enjoying life!
The sauna on the inside is all covered in cedar shakes (is this the technical term?), three sides have benches and there is a plexiglass window along one wall. The heat is generated by a tiger torch in an old stove. For rocks, they have cut the bottom off an old barrel and welded wire mesh to it. Lava rocks sit inside the barrel-top dish, which sits nicely on the top of the stove.
We had to 'pre-heat' the sauna for about 30min and we watered down all the walls and ceiling to bring out the cedar smell of the wood. There is a bucket of cold water near the door for splashing on the rocks and for the brave, cooling off. (Brave because there are plenty of dead mosquitoes and blackflies floating in the water)

Alicia (a 2nd-year summer student from UBC) and I spent 1.5hrs in the sauna last night! It was so divine...I love the heat so much and it was very therapeutic to be able to just sweat! I feel so much cleaner and lighter today. We did three rounds and between round one and two, we jumped into the lake! It was VERY refreshing to run off the end of the dock and hit the bloody cold water. I had a good scream! (also recommended for stress relief!). The next two times we cooled off enough by just walking down to the dock and back.
I think I'm addicted!

No comments:
Post a Comment