
I was out working in the field the other day with a geologist named Dan, establishing a base line and looking for old samples. It's really quite a unique experience being in the middle of the tundra, away from camp, the noise of the generator, the medic (no bears sighted so far!), the other people in camp, cars, buildings, people etc... it's pretty incredible and I feel very blessed.
Two days ago we were out, walking in an area between a lake and two 'mountains' and there were some very well worn caribou paths. It was as if all of a sudden, these paths started jumping out at me and now that's all I notice...they are EVERYWHERE on the open tundra. They are very hardy animals and move all the time.
We were sitting on some rocks, taking notes and a bull with a HUGE pair of antlers (hey man, check out the rack on that guy...hahaa...sorry, bad taste humor from tired geologist!) and his mate came walking by. We were sitting about 20feet away from a caribou path so they had a look at us, stopped for a minute and then just kept on walking. We sat there as quietly as possible and took many photographs. It was surreal and a wonderful experience that I will remember for a long time.

No comments:
Post a Comment