I apologize for the LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG time I've been away from the blog! I have been uber busy settling into my new home in Lynn Valley, North Vancouver. Settling into my new job and trying to establish a new routine and adjust to entering the "rat race".
My new work life does have similarities to my field life but with a different backdrop. I get my exercise running for the bus (which thankfully I don't have to do that often!), lugging my large briefcase-like shoulder bag to and from work, watching the local wildlife on my bus-foot commute to work and climbing corporate mountains of knowledge! The rat race is actually quite physical; running to and from the printer, wrestling with the paper for the plotter and swimming through the paper on my desk and here's the proof!!!I am finally feeling settled and my energy levels are rising! It was a hard push for the first two months to get online with the company's' database, how to create any kind of readable map in MapInfo, investor relations jargon and facts, researching sustainable development issues as part of the community relations plan...all in a days work! I'm really enjoying my job and every day I learn something new. I always have a mantra of staying put so long as I'm learning and feel appreciated and valued. So for now, I'm here to stay!
On a more personal note, I've been feeling better and better with my energy levels. I'm still actively training for the Vancouver Sun Run in April and have registered for my first EVER 5km race, "Gut Busters" hosted in Victoria in March!!! I invested in new running shoes as my last pair were......9 years old.....eeeekkkkkk!!!! They have been great for the long haul and have survived two winters at Goose Lake. They have now been retired for my new flash, fast shoes aptly named "Wave Riders" (thanks Dad - one of those shoes is my birthday money!). Aptly because I've also joined the UBC Surf Club!!
1. Yes, UBC has a surf club
2. No, you don't have to be a student
3. Yes, they do trips often
Look out Tofino!!! I learned to surf several years ago with my good friend Nikola and find it to be the most "Zen" type of exercise I've come across yet. Bring it on!!! So when my rat-race, paper based swimming gets tiring, I'm off to do some real swimming with a large, long board under me! Yeehaa!

No comments:
Post a Comment