Wednesday, March 15, 2006

TO-RON-TO

I recently had the opportunity to attend the PDAC (Prospectors and Developers Assoc. of Canada) annual mining conference in Toronto on March 4th-8th. It was again, a last minute trip put forth to me by my boss on Friday morning at approx. 11:45am with a flight out of Vancouver on Saturday afternoon!! A mad rush, canceling appointments and a flurry of packing ensued!! I don't mind being accommodating but I hope this doesn't become a habit!

PDAC is one of the world's largest mining conferences, which attracts attendees from all over the world. Last year there were 15,000 people in attendance. I haven't officially heard what this year did but I would guess the same or even more! The conference started on a Sunday and come Monday, our side of the conference center (Investors Forum) was shoulder-to-shoulder people! Lots and lots of talking....Here is Mario Hernandez and myself in our booth.

It's so interesting to be in the booth as you meet the most diverse group of people, all with a different agenda. This time was certainly dominated by the financial crowd who all work (live?) only several blocks away in the heart of Toronto's financial district on Bay Street. Certainly way less day traders and "collectors" (see post on San Fran) this time. I met several lovely stock brokers and a very cool woman on the board of directors for a mining company! Very inspiring!! Additionally, I was able to get away for several talks on mining and sustainability which were worthwhile to attend.

PDAC is arguably best known (within the mining crowd anyway) for its abundance of "hospitality" suites (read: parties with free flowing booze) and social events in the evenings. I opted out of many of these this time around to visit with friends but the stories were very worthwhile to hear the next day! I did manage to snag a few cold beers from the trade show side after long days of talk, talk, talking! I took in the Oscars with my friend Shauna and we also went out for Indian along Queens Street. (seems like an indie/urban shopping mecca waiting to be explored!).

Shauna is a lawyer now working in Toronto but we first met in Mexico while teaching high school in Monterrey for one year. As well as visiting with Shauna, my old friend Cody Beales took me out for an awesome dinner to the Gypsy Co-op...a mandatory stop for those who enjoy well-portioned, beautifully cooked organic meats and other amazing dishes! Thank you Cody! Scored big points with that stop. The only crappy thing is that he got a parking ticket! Boo. Come on', who's out patrolling on a Wednesday night? sheesh!

The end of my trip was topped off with doing the red-eye home while sitting beside the only professional wrestler I know, Mr. Pete Smith, aka Rocket Randy! (www.rocketrandy.com) What are the chances? Slim I'd say. Not only can he do a flying drop kick and look good in pink spandex, he can also carry on a solid conversation. Thanks Pete!

**Post trip note: Boys listen to me, if you call a girl 5 times in one day and don't leave a message you are officially (take your pick) a freak, needy, pushy, scary. I had a mini-stalker experience with a boy I met in Toronto. All I can say is "Good luck b/c I'm too hot to handle!" and that I'm very happy that we don't live in the same city!

No comments: