Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Last Minute Las Vegas

Last Tuesday, after being told the week before I wasn't going, my boss walked into my office and asked me to fly to Las Vegas that night! I was slightly irritated because it certainly didn't satisfy the "planner" in me but okay....why not? I'm up for another adventure!

I have never been to Las Vegas before this trip. I was blown away by how there is nothing around Las Vegas (I flew in at night so this was accentuated) but empty land! I'm sure that Las Vegas must be on the top of the charts for energy consumption...what would they do without the Hoover Dam??

The road show I attended was for investors and although there were a lot of looky-lou's, once they found out the price of our stock, they moved along. It's too expensive for that crowd as they are all about leverage! It was always interesting seeing the crowds of faces and what questions they brought!

I arrived late to the hotel on Tuesday night (11pm ish) and bumped into my friend Deanna. She came up to my room for awhile and chatted while I waited for my bags to be delivered (thank god as the booth weighs a LOT). When the bell hop arrived, I asked him if he wanted a hand with the booth bag...just as the words came out of my mouth, he turned to me and I noticed that he was physically disabled and had no lower arm on the right side. It was like his hand was attached to his upper arm. I felt HORRIBLE! I started back peddling and felt really dumb...turned out this guy must have thought it was his lucky day (lesbian fantasy?)as he wouldn't leave the room and kept asking us if we had any questions, what book I was reading etc...I started herding him out of the room and he backed into the huge bag, fumbled and smacked into the wall. Excellent! (giggle giggle)

The second impression I had of Las Vegas was the sheer enormity of everything! It was literally as if someone's imagination had come to life. Larger than life buildings, themed buildings (pyramid, Eiffel tower, huge boat, statues) gave me the sense that I was stumbling around in someone's dream. My booth mate, Alex took me on a small tour of part of the strip. We visited Ceasars Palace, saw the fountains at the Bellagio and had dinner in a cafe at Paris Paris. Very cool! I loved all the statues everywhere...again larger than life!

My colleague Ha had an extra ticket for the Zumanity show that is put on by Cirque du Soleil. This particular show is called "the other side of Cirque" and it was for a +18yr older crowd and for good reason! Very erotic. Very sensual. Very fun! The audience participation made it so funny! It was pretty cool to see naked bodies (well, almost but not quite) that are so flexible!

After the show, we went to the Wild Coyote in New York New York and did a Jello shot, they bought drinks, we all climbed into the taxi and drove to The Palms. It was cool as they have a bar with a huge patio on the 56th floor and it's perpendicular to the strip so I got some good night shots!

For a whirlwind trip, I think I did pretty well. I didn't get to use the pool, my amazing bath tub or gamble more than $1 on the slots so I'd like to go back and do some more exploring at some point in time!!!

No comments: