I don't normally post things that are on a personal nature only although it's my blog and I can do what I want with it! So, this post is strictly personal.
I went to visit my boyfriend Andreas where he has been working all summer at Sonora Resort (www.sonoraresort.com) It's a 5-star resort on an island north of Quadra Island (east of Campbell River on Vancouver Island).

It was a surprise visit and Andreas had no idea I was coming to visit! I had called ahead and spoke with the assistant GM - Karli and asked her if she would help with the deception. I had told Andreas that I had sent him a care package and that it was due to arrive at the end of the week. So, when I arrived at Sonora Resort, Karli met me on the dock and said that Andreas had no clue I was coming and that they were going to hide me just outside of the kitchen and then go in and tell him to come out and help with this HUGE care package that arrived!
So, we get up there and Andreas comes out around the corner and Dave, his roommate, is standing beside me with a camera, filming it all. Andreas looks at Dave with this funny expression and then starts looking around for a box or package. It didn't even register that I was standing there until I jumped towards him and said "Surprise!". Andreas kind of shook his head and then gave me a big hug and kiss and said "What are you doing here?!" It was totally awesome!!! He was in shock for the rest of the day!!

Thankfully, the resort allowed us to bend the "no fraternization" rules and Andreas could stay with me in my room for the two nights I was there. They also, very gratefully, gave him the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday off work! Here is a view from our amazing room!!
We had a small but cozy room with an amazing view of the ocean that actually resembled more of a river. During the day the water would rush in one direction, up to 12 knots, and then would change direction when the tide changed. It was so beautiful but totally deadly if you fell in, current and temperature not a good mix!
On the way into the resort, we saw 12 eagles, 1 seal and 3 sea lions (my favorite!). While there, we saw plenty of eagles, seals and even a few playful sea lions. They are so big, I guess they don't need to worry about the strength of the current. As well, Andreas taught me how to fly fish and made new friends while I was being awkward with my casting. The pond is apparently stocked with 600 fish but the whole few hours we were there, not a nibble! I think that the eagles and bears have had their fishing time too!


Over the weekend, Andreas showed me around the resort and we met a lot of his co-workers. It was great for me to finally put all his images and stories together with places and faces. I was able to eat in the staff kitchen as well as the dining room so I felt totally integrated into the Sonora Resort life! This hot man is Dave, Andreas' roommate and a future fireman! Ladies, he's up for dinner meetings too! ;)

As always, the opportunity to relax was well taken advantage of when Andreas had to work on Monday morning. I went to the spa and visited the steam room and soaked until I was a prune in the mineral pool pictured here
So, with this parting image of the view from our room again, I will say that it was a magical, amazing weekend that both Andreas and I will remember for a long time! Thank you to Sonora Resort Staff for making it all happen!

No comments:
Post a Comment