Prounced 'bod tulz'
We traveled to the most picturesque little town south of Munich yesterday!!! I felt like I was in the Sound of Music! We took the BOB Train (the train system that connects to surrounding towns) south for one hour, hopped on a bus and it was less then a ten minute ride right into the center of Bag Tölz. We got off the bus and I felt like peeing my pants I was so happy and never in my life did I think I would be standing in a place that truly looked like a postcard or a Disney set come to life! The central part of the town sloped downwards towards the river and shops lined each side of a cobble stone road with a fountain in the middle. The shops were all in beautifully painted and carved buildings of bright colors, all lined up side by side in typical german fashion. Many of the restaurants and cafes had outdoor seating set up and many families, people and dogs were outside enjoying a kaffee (coffee - NOT starbucks) and some cake or pretzels.
We strolled around and visited a few shops and came to the end of this decline, crossed a major road and were on a bridge crossing the Isar river (comes from the alps and runs through Munich). It was so beautiful...rivaled some BC rivers I have been to before! We walked over the bridge and toured around a little on the other side and visited a church that was built in 1738. It's so amazing to me to visit places that are this old and to think about all the feet that have walked down the aaisleor kneeled in the pews over the years before. It's really mind blowing.
Our stomachs got the better of us so we went back over the bridge and found the most local pub we had seen and sat out on their patio. The patio was really unique because it overlooked a narrow, cobbled alley and on the other side, towered a twin towered, bright yellow church! I had a beautiful roast duck and bread dumpling dish with salad and Andreas had more innards.....liver dumpling in a broth and lung with a bread dumpling! He was in heaven....until it all expanded in his tummy! hehehe
After lunch we walked up a big hill with wooden steps to visit a church that overlooked the entire town. It was an amazing view and we really lucked out on the weather! It's been an Indian summer pretty much the whole time. So we sat in the sun and talked about life, enjoying the view. We went inside the church, which was strangely colder than outside and this place was really different and to be honest, kinda creepy! It was split into 3 sections, the first had a slighly below ground mock chamber with an over-life sized figure of Jesus laying in it, covered with a thin shroud. The second part of the church had a few pews and a large staircase in wood that lead up to a second level. We walked up the sides of the stair case and got to the top to find a real skeleton totally decomposed in a glass box. The skeleton was covered in jewels like pearls, rubies and amethyst. It was the strangest thing we'd ever seen and there was no documentation to tell more about who it was and why this person was held in such regard (although, I don't think I'd like my bones on display like that forever!)
So, we took lots of photos and got out of there....creepy church on the hill in Bag Tölz.
We got home, after just missing our train by 5mins at about 8pm said hello to Rosi and went off to the neighborhood pub which, thankfully, happened to be a Premiere Sports pub. There was a Premiere League Soccer match between Bayen Munich and Portugal last night. It was neat to be in a small pub, almost like Cheers, where everyone seemed to know everyone else. We watched the game in a very smokey environment (thank god for no smoking in Canadian Pubs!), had some beers and closed the night slightly disappointed as the game ended with no one scoring. It was a good game and I think Andreas was happy to have seen it.
It was a totally amazing day that I will remember for a long time.
Pretzel count: 3, Beer: 2
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment