Hello all!
Welcome to my blog. I thought it would be a good way to keep everyone posted on what was happening with me and my next six months in the Arctic. I am no longer workting for Miramar Mining as Dundee Precious Metals out of toronto has bought the property that I was working on last year. So this year, same property but different company.
Well, part of the glamor of this job is definitely absent at the moment! We are currently waiting in the crewhouse trailer in Yellowkinfe...waiting for the weather in camp to be consistant enough to be able to fly in and land. We flew in from VAncouver-Edmonton, Edmonton-Yellowknife last night. The aiport was hairy as two planes had landed at the same time and there were a lot of very cranky travellers with kids! We stayed out of the way until our bags were spotted on the belts. I ran into an old schoolmate, Chris Raffle who has been working in diamonds since he graduated.
Walking out of the airport, I was met with a blast of fresh, cold air and part of me is really happy to be back in the north. It's a refeshing place to be if you can stand the cold. I barely made it into the truck as...they seem to be getting bigger and bigger every year! I had to jump up to grab the ceiling handle to THEN haul myself into the truck. Let me say that although I love them , Birkenstocks were not made for their gripping power on ice! hehehe
After the airport we went to Discovery Mining Services builidng and did a little 'shopping' for our winter gear....-60C jacket, winter pants and steel-toed snowboots. It's always fun trying to find everything that fits. I actually have a pair of pants that are my height as usually I have super long pants that make me look like I have a load in my pants! Plus it mades them really difficult to walk in!
Even though it can be boring....hurry up and wait, it makes me grateful that I don't have a job where I have to be at my desk all the time. I don't think that I have the personality for it!
Monday, April 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment