Hi everyone!
I am safely landed in Sweden and over my jetlag. Life is GRAND and it's so beautiful to be able to have some time in Europe again. I got my first taste of Europe last year when Andreas and I were in Germany and I wanted more! I'm totally infatuated with the look and feel of everything and everyone here. It's constant eye-candy.
Karlskrona is a marine city and is a UNESCO world heritage site. Up to five years ago, it was an active naval base, powder towers stocked and all! There are many examples of buildings and structures needed to support a navy and I have started to explore some of them. Karlskrona is also spread out over several islands and walking around the center part of town, views of the islands with their houses can be seen across the harbor. They are all connected with bridges and roads, able to carry cars, bikes and pedestrians.
Immediately noticeable is the different infrastructure here. Roads are planned and build with wide areas for walkers and bikes. EVERYONE bikes here. Bikes are not cheap! Boo. We are on the hunt for some second-hand biked but a shitty one that needs work is about $100...so still looking. The bikes are very different and remind me more of the old style with only one gear, wide seats, rat traps and MANY baskets on the front. I am looking forward to walking and biking around town and exploring the many trails and roadways.
The university is quite small in comparison to UBC for example. The Karlskrona campus only has 5 different buildings and the campus size is a small 4 acres. There are two other campus locations in nearby towns and thankfully with our student cards we can travel for free by train between them. Should prove to be some good weekend exploring!
The closest Ikea is an hour away and will be visited soon! I would guess that every third to fifth person drives a volvo with audi, vw, renault, saab and some US make cars filling in the gaps. Station wagons are very popular.
I have been taking photos and will upload them soon. Finding internet connections in this town isn't easy although Wayne's (go figure!) coffee house in the center of the center of town is my new home base, complete with yummy tea, juice and food to go with the complementary wireless internet!
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment